My rig for Nightcrawlers

For sometime I've talked about how to rig up for fishing a nightcrawler. If you've seen my posts of the different fish I've caught using this rig then you know it works.
Yes you can catch large fish on a #8 hook!:) Fish it like you would an artificial worm only slower. Good fishing!

Attachments

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
Nice :) You taught me this trick the first time we met few years back even showed it in action they work great . Where do you buy those syringe /needles that size ?

Nice :) You taught me this trick the first time we met few years back even showed it in action they work great . Where do you buy those syringe /needles that size ?
The first time I asked my doctor and explained why I wanted one, but I think you can get some at Walgreens. But a good while back I had a supply on hand for giving my wife Iron shots. They're the the size of an insuin syringe.

TuN3R

Administrator
Staff member
The first time I asked my doctor and explained why I wanted one, but I think you can get some at Walgreens. But a good while back I had a supply on hand for giving my wife Iron shots. They're the the size of an insuin syringe.
Ye i tried few others but they don't work as effectively as those small insulin syringe .

Thanks for tip i will check walgreens this trick comes real handy for deep water drop shot fishing .

QUOTE="TuN3R, post: 21270, member: 1"]Ye i tried few others but they don't work as effectively as those small insulin syringe .

Thanks for tip i will check walgreens this trick comes real handy for deep water drop shot fishing .[/QUOTE]
Yeah you can use a small split shot instead of the slip sinker especially if the fish are skittish.
One thing nice about this setup is you can move it along slowly, swim it or just let it sit for a while. I mix it up a lot of times, regardless of how you fish it drop the line as soon as you feel a hit and count to 10, most of the time there's no need for hard set. You'll get a feel for what kind of fish is hitting it. A huge fish will pick it up and move off very slow give it some slack for the 10 count.

QUOTE="TuN3R, post: 21270, member: 1"]Ye i tried few others but they don't work as effectively as those small insulin syringe .

Thanks for tip i will check walgreens this trick comes real handy for deep water drop shot fishing .
Yeah you can use a small split shot instead of the slip sinker especially if the fish are skittish.
One thing nice about this setup is you can move it along slowly, swim it or just let it sit for a while. I mix it up a lot of times, regardless of how you fish it drop the line as soon as you feel a hit and count to 10, most of the time there's no need for hard set. You'll get a feel for what kind of fish is hitting it. A huge fish will pick it up and move off very slow give it some slack for the 10 count.[/QUOTE]
what a great and creative rig setup.
Found out today that when it seemed that I couldn't buy a bite....I rigged up without a sinker and no air.....WAM! I started catching fish totaled up to 10 bass and about 25 sunnies. I was about to go home and put a crawler on my fly rod and hooked a huge Bass my rod wasn't heavy enough and no net. Lost'm' so I switched to my regular rod and found that I could cast a good distance with just the weight of the nightcrawler. Just have to let it sink and fish very slow. You can tell if it's a sunny try to get it away from him unless you want to catch sunnies. I wait until I'm down to less than a half a worm then fish for the sunnies. Bass are just as eager to take a half of the crawler.

I have used his method and it does work. I use an insulin syringe. I'm diabetic so I have plenty of these. The only thing is they are single use. If you can get a hold of one and cap the needle after use. They work great. Hope that helps.